View Single Post
      02-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

I got in touch with Fred Su at Evolution Racewerks. His words:

"The line is correct. These are the inner rear brake lines that are up on the rear subframe that are extremely difficult to reach and thus remove/install. Thus, we do not recommend you put on the clips as they're very hard to do. Due to it being connected to hard lines that are mounted to the chassis, there is really no need for a bracket so we do not use it. You can still put it on but without it makes installation a lot easier. We've sold a lot of these lines without issue. Our race car also has been running the same lines since 2008 so it's been thoroughly tested."

It should be noted that the hard lines are only "mounted to the chassis" by the end fittings of the flex lines, when the clips are installed. Fred is clearly a purveyor of snake oil.

The lines are actually made by Techna-Fit as evidenced by the "FTS" marking on the rubber boots.

http://www.techna-fit.com/brakekits.html

Techna-Fit sells their own kit for the the 135i:

http://www.technafitstore.com/BMW-Br...p/bmw-1850.htm

The picture on their website is generic so the exact configuration can't be determined from that. A call to Techna-Fit was very helpful. Of course their kit uses the correct end fittings, and they are sending me one free of charge, even though they had nothing to do with the original deal.

Techna-Fit doesn't know why Evolution Racewerks is selling a kit that doesn't match the car and claiming that it does but says they will be in touch to investigate.

I guess I am still optimistic. I will report back when the Techna-Fit kit comes in ...

To address Fred's comment that the clips are hard to install - not true. The connections are just as easy to make with or without the clips in place. Wrench access is difficult, particularly at the forward end of the mid lines, but a special wrench makes the job quite easy. I happened to have one on hand, but it wouldn't be hard to modify a standard wrench in a similar manner.

Name:  Rapco RA716.jpg
Views: 2187
Size:  179.3 KB

Name:  Wrench.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  94.1 KB

Last edited by fe1rx; 02-12-2015 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 2