View Single Post
      02-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

The OE brake hoses have what are known as bulkhead fittings on the ends that attach to brackets. Their function is to positively secure the ends of both the hoses and the rigid lines. They are secured by a spring clip under the rigid line flarenut shown here on the rear subframe:

Name:  1 Subframe Bracket OE.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  167.5 KB

On my rear subframe the cutout in the bracket is large enough that the ER end fitting (which is not strictly a bulkhead fitting) slips right through, so it is not secured by the clip:

Name:  2 Subframe Bracket ER.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  169.9 KB

On the front brake lines the brackets are a bit tighter and the ER fitting just jams into the cutout, securing it almost as if it were a bulkhead fitting:

Name:  3 Front Bracket ER.jpg
Views: 2088
Size:  156.3 KB

On the rear intermediate lines at the forward end, the cutout is also tight enough to secure the line. As you can see the fitting is barely secured, versus the positive security provided by the bulkhead fitting on the OE hose:

Name:  4 Rear Braket ER + OE.jpg
Views: 2141
Size:  151.0 KB

Stoptech appears to make their hoses the same way as ER, but their kit contains washers. A 1/2" washer prevents the ER hose fittings from passing fully through the subframe bracket, giving them some of the properties of a bulkhead fitting, so I have to assume this is their function. The thickness of the washer does result in over bending of the clip though. Also, the fitting is not prevented from rotating, so a second wrench is required to prevent the hose from twisting while tightening the flarenut. The OE hose bulkhead fitting engages the star-shaped cutout and prevents the hose from twisting, so only a single wrench is required to tighten the OE hose:

Name:  5 Subframe Bracket Washer.jpg
Views: 2186
Size:  182.1 KB

For a bit more security the same washer approach can be taken at all the brackets when using the ER hoses. Here is the front brake hose bracket with a washer (although the flarenut is not fully tight in this image):

Name:  6 Front Bracket w Washer.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  144.1 KB

The washer idea came from an image I found on line of the Stoptech hose kit:

Name:  Stoptech Brake Hoses.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  150.3 KB

Hose suppliers whose kits use a true bulkhead fitting include Techna-Fit (direct), Agency Power (following image):

Name:  Agency Power Hoses.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  244.1 KB

and UUC:

Name:  UUC Hoses.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  54.7 KB

The ECS, ER and Stoptech kits can be described as a kluge. Their female fittings are clearly wrong for the application and the washer is a poor fix.

Noun

"A system that is constituted of poorly matched elements or of elements originally intended for other applications."

Last edited by fe1rx; 08-19-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 1