01-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
Great write up, thanks! Especially nice to see your point #3, I notice this very much when I'm going round a long banked curve, it just feels like the back is wiggling from side to side instead of settling in to the turn.

What's most surprising to me is that the bushings all seem to have the same, rounded hole. I believe on the e46 one of them has an elongated hole, which was the biggest deterrent to DIY'ing this (getting it perfectly aligned). I assumed they'd be the same on the 1 series.

Definitely adding this upgrade to the list.

No Wolfe, for the front bushing where it attaches to the car chassis - it has a square hole. The chassis has a square peg that mates up exactly. So the axle then "locks into" the body of the car. This square notch or peg is only on one side.

I don't know how the tech lined the bushing up with the axle carrier. I suspec BMW puts little "arrows" on the axle subframe to show the installer how to mount the bushing. Much in the same way front control arm bushings for an e36/e46 has on those eye-lets.

Also... my biggest fear after I had commited to this "upgrade" was I was affraid of how the rear suspension would react to bump steer. Espcially in the rain and in mid turn. I was worried how the car's rear axle would behave durring bumps while cornering. I had thought since these bushings are so much harder(in my hand) than stock OE ones, that I would have to put up with a lot of bump steer. But to my surprise there is NONE.

There is literally no downside to this upgrade other than the cost and a slightly rougher ride on really(really!) bad cobble stone roads. But I really don't drive on cobble stone roads (much) - so this is no big deal. On any kind of pavement the car rides just like normal. Just without ANY wiggle or squirm.
Appreciate 0