Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Zombie Head, welcome. Nice to see someone with mechanical empathy that takes care of their machine. I'm very similar and take care of my machine too. We just traded in our MkV GTI or a MK7. in the US, the proletariat model (non R) GTI uses 5W-40. I find it interesting that your higher performance model runs 5W-30.

Also, what makes yours a Mk 7.5? Is that because it's a facelifted Mk7? Is that an official designation or yours? If so that would make my 2017 at 7.0...correct?

Thank you.
Thank you, i always took car of our cars, my mother hated me for it. I remember back in 1996 when we picked up a brand new E36 328is and how she was just starting it and driving it "normally". Some hard accelerations here and there when cold, i kept bombarding her to take it easy till it gets warmed up, she never listened but i tried nevertheless.

About the Golf, i actually started the order in April 2017, a couple of week later the dealership called and asked me to come in and respec the car since they are already taking orders for the 2018 (MK7.5) model.

I was expecting a 0w-40 oil weight as well, since the majority of German cars run that oil, with some exceptions. Personally i do not like 5w30, we get -18c winters where i am and 35-40c summers. In heavy traffic last summer and not even reaching above 3K rpms i saw the engine oil touching 112c. I heard from some other owners that the R touched 130c on the track in Nordschleife (stock car).

MK7.5 is facelifted front and new LED tail lights behind, new side skirts as well. Interior is all digital (optional) and the 7 speed DCT is available (mine is a stick as it should be) engine is bumped up from 300hp to 310 (i guess 296hp for the US is the MK7 and 306 or so for the MK7.5). That is the official designation for my current car yes, oh and the MK7.5 also has a bigger touch screen standard which is also an indication of the MK7.5.

As for oil temps on the public roads, i guess it depends on the season. It used to take 5 minutes to see 50c on my R in summer, now it takes double if not a bit more, i guess it is normal if you have the stock cooler and no lower oil t-stat installed. Take a slightly longer route if you are not in a hurry or late.
Interesting as I thought the horsepower and torque figures for the golf r were identical to the 2017 model, which I have. I must say, however, I believe dsg is ideal for this car. Agree to disagree and either way, a fantastic car.
Appreciate 0