01-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #69
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I think you're missing the point. All else equal (same wheel design, same width, same rolling diameter, same tire model), a 17" wheel will weight less, will act (from a handling/acceleration/braking perspective) like a lighter wheel than an equal weight 18" wheel (because it has less rotational inertia), and ride better (more sidewall).

You may well have upgraded vs stock (easy on a car with heavy wheels and runflat tires), but that doesn't mean it wasn't a compromised upgrade as compared to what you could have done with 17" wheels.

To put it simply - when a skater is looking to do spins they tuck their body in tight. This reduced your rotational inertia as Obioban said, making you spin faster with less energy input.

Thats what happens when you downsize to a 17" wheel - you tuck the main weight of the wheel (the barrel) in closer to the hub - just as a skater pulls their body in.

Anecdote time - I ran 18" wheels and PS2s for a very long time on this car. Then I cracked a wheel, said eff big wheels in NYC and went as small as I could go - 17" - its the best decision you can make from a handling perspective.

I also think that well designed 17" wheels look better on the 1er than bigger ones, but im weird, I like a bit of tire to show.

Appreciate 0