02-24-2018, 11:48 PM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue View Post
All valid points, and this wouldn't be an attempt at a source of truth. Clearly it becomes stale data as soon if not before it is even posted. It would be statistical trivia for the 7th anniversary of the 1M. And maybe it would be better to just list summary stats and skip a detailed spreadsheet. I really just wanted to see if there was enough interest to share the cost to try this.

Obviously there are inaccuracies on Autocheck reports, but I would argue that the statistics from this method would be better than extrapolating the responses from a small group of owners on this forum. I doubt we'd get more than 50 responses if I asked for the data that way.

So that is why option 4 exists on the poll. We can move on waiting for the next thread asking what your current mileage is, or how many 1Ms have been totaled, somehow thinking more than 50 people will respond. Or I can tell you what NMVTIS and Autocheck says about all of the cars today.
First, let me say that I appreciate your efforts; thank you for all the work you have done on this.

As someone who has actually purchased 8 (at last count) used or vintage cars in the last several years, I can tell you that only 1 of them (actually, my 1M prior to my purchase) had an approximately correct Carfax, and it came out of Canada, where I am thinking that they may have higher legal standards for this sort of data than we have in the USA. In the mix was a totally rusted out Z3 Coupe sold to me as a pristine car, whose Carfax gave no clue that the vehicle was in horrid condition and worth essentially zero. I filed a lawsuit over that car's misrepresentations. The car went back, cross country, to the seller in the end. None of this will show up on a Carfax or Autocheck report; the car, sold private party, was never registered by me, and I spend many months in trying to force the lying seller to take the rusted out hulk back.

If the data source that you want to consult was even vaguely accurate, I would be four square in favor with what you want to do. In fact, the data is extremely misleading, and any conclusions you draw from it will be highly suspect.

I can understand your reluctance to take the data that you can collect from forum members here, and perhaps on other forums if they exist. I do think, that as limited a sample as you might get here, will be more accurate when extrapolated than what you will get from compiling unverified and unverifiable data obtained from this public source.

The 1M is a very limited production enthusiast car. I would suggest that almost no one owns one who is very dissimilar to the people posting on this forum. I would also suggest that there are tons of lurkers here, as in any other forum. You may be surprised with the number of responses that you get.

Last edited by champignon; 02-25-2018 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: tyypo
Appreciate 0