View Single Post
      07-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
Just thought I'd post my experience when it comes to manual transmission oil.

80k km - Transmission oil changed at a indy shop ( unsure what oil used). Following this consistent 1-2 crunch first shift in the morning if the shift wasn't really gentle. Also used to crunch occasionally on hard 1-2 shifts when warm and up to temp.

100k km - replaced fluid with redline MTL, morning 1-2 shift issue resolved and gearbox in general felt alot better.

After around 30k km the shifting characteristics began to noticeably degrade (basically overnight). The box became really notchy and increased shift force was required to select gears. The gearbox also became quite noisy.

140k - Decided to switch to LT3 OEM BMW fluid. The old MTL fluid looked noticeably discoloured when it was removed.

WOW what a difference immediately the box became noticeably quieter. Within the next 2000km every day it felt like the box was improving, to the point now where shifts are effortless. Even high RPM fast 1-2 shifts, effortless. Morning shifts in when cold, perfect.

I cannot say enough words on how damn good the OEM fluid is, it's totally transformed the driving experience. So much so i regret ever changing it.
That was my experience too. Not a fan of how the redline fluid felt in an n55 box. I tried half MTF and straight D6. Nothing felt as good as the OE fluid...
Appreciate 0