View Single Post
      01-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #14
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Anyway, like I said, I'm pretty familiar with coding with NCSExpert, but I do it infrequently enough that it helps to have a go-by like yours. I went ahead and updated the VO, exited the program, then went back in to verify that it took. It did.
At this point, if you added the new battery to your VO, you DID NOT need to make the coding changes manually. You just needed to go into NCS Expert and either process the NFRM and CAS modules individually or use the non-recommended method of sending a blank .man file to them. This will reset the modules to their default settings which will now reflect the new battery you added to your VO!

Quote:
Next, I read the CAS trace file, modified the stock 80ah value to 90ah_agm for my new battery, and rewrote the module with the .man file. Exited the program, went back in, re-read a trace file, and checked for the change I made. There it was.
If you correctly updated the VO then this wasn't really necessary . You only had to reset the modules. Didn't hurt to do it manually though.

Quote:
Then I went to process the car, the job got started, got through one module ("Kombi") and then spit out a "Coding Faulty" error on the next module ("MULF2"). Tried a few times, couldn't get it to work.
I honestly never used the "process car" method. This simply resets ALL the modules in the car back to their default settings. This is necessary when you don't know which modules in the car will be affected by the change done to the VO. In our case here, we know NFRM and CAS will change based on the new battery VO line, so "process car" isn't exactly necessary. All you need to do is reset those two modules and then verify the trace files reflect the new battery.

Quote:
I then went into Toolset32, found the battery registration job. I didn't see a "Run Job" button anywhere, but I double-clicked the job and almost immediately got a pop-up window reflecting job results "okay."
Yeah, these guides are a bit tough because there are many different versions of all these programs floating around. Some of them are English translated, and some of them are the German versions.

When I get time, I'll load everything up and double check the steps in this guide.

Quote:
So at this point, I've got the VO updated, the CAS module updated, and the battery registered. Am I good to go? Or do I need to find some way to get the "Process Car" thing to work?
Nope, you should be fine so long as the trace files still reflect the new battery! You can use INPA, see appendix D, to also verify the changes were made properly.
Appreciate 3