03-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #401
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I pulled my rear shocks out week before last and firmed them up a bit. So yesterday went to do the same on the front. When you get a minute, would you take a look at your fronts and tell me how much thread is showing above the top nut?

Your ride height looks good!
Thank you!

Results of my inspection are inconclusive.

Legacy left side has about 2 threads showing.
Newly replaced right side has about 1/2 thread showing.
But since the mechanic replaced all 4 springs when the new strut was installed, I'm pretty sure he would have had to remove and reinstall that left one, too.

If it's any comfort, for full strength 1/2 OD thread engagement is all that's necessary for aluminum bolts, and about 1/3 OD engagement gives the full strength available from a steel bolt. I didn't measure the threaded shaft OD, but it looks like ~14mm to me. Which means that if you've got 5mm worth of threads fully engaged in the nut, then the fastener joint is not your highest risk point of failure. I think the nut is about 10mm tall. Can't really get the calipers in there while it's all buttoned down...
Appreciate 1
gjm1202181.50