View Single Post
      08-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List

San Diego has some really great autocrossing. The weather is great, so the season is very long, and the SCCA as well as the BMW CCA run strong, well-attended programs. I attended as much autocross as I could, and it seemed like there was an event about every other weekend.

Significant mods this year were Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts, which transformed the behavior of the car's rear end at a whopping $45. I also switched wheels to a square set up, APEX ARC-8's in E36 fitment (17x8.5" ET40), and got back on a decent autocross tire, Dunlop Direzza ZII's. The Michelin PSS's really did not like autocross very much, couldn't stand up to the scrubbing, although my own overdriving probably contributed. Nevertheless, I really think th PSS should be considered more of a sport touring tire rather than a real performance tire.

I rounded out the year with M3 front control arms, and a 3-stage intake manifold sourced from a wrecked 330i, with only about 5,000 miles on it. The car was also flashed with an Active Autowerke tune to take advantage of the new intake manifold.