View Single Post
      04-28-2019, 03:07 AM   #2
135i2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

As you mention, the ATO changes last year mean you will pay GST and Duty, if applicable, on all low value goods. The $1000 rule is no longer in place.

All shippers I have used will calculate the GST (10%) and Duty (5%) for you and demand payment before releasing the goods for delivery. The customs entry fee of $83 is also added to the fees and my last overseas purchase attracted a security fee of $9.95

All companies I buy parts from, including Schmiedmann, don't calculate GST, Duty and Fees. They won't indulge your request to undervalue the parts to save you tax and charges either. Mainly due to insurance coverage risks, not to mention the fraudulent request in the first place. There are some who sell parts locally, still getting away with this but you can bet the ATO has them in their sights.

I make sure I have large enough parts to order at one time so that the admin fees and customs entry make a negligible impact on the purchase. I do however, order very large parts locally due to the excessive shipping costs ie. under-body protection panels.

Alternatively ask for the best price at BMW and pay margin, duty, tax and fees regardless.

I have not experienced any luck with charges and fees for a long time now. Those days are gone.

135i - RHD Bottom Mount Single Turbo - GTX3584RS
Appreciate 0