View Single Post
      04-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
fe1rx Amazing work once again! I've been contemplating doing this exact same thing for some time now so I'll be following with keen interest.

Did you do any testing or use any data for high and low pressure zones and vent placement on the bonnet/hood?
There was someone on e90post or m3post that did some testing which would likely translate for our 1-series.
I ended up removing the under-bonnet cowl (cabin filter cover), even though it probably goes against what should be done in terms of pressure. I removed it for ease of access and to try and remove some hot air (also M3 strut brace fitted) - I never got around to doing the M3 cowl replacement - and I ended up using the BMS cowl filters.

I also wanted to get some inbound cold air (forward of where you have your side vents) to directly feed into my air filter (relocated to the hot side) but there wouldn't seem to be much room at all with your side vents' current placement.
Thanks. I had very little ability to move the vents forward or back. That area of the hood should be a low pressure area though. I did do some flow visualization with home-made flow viz, and the side vents are aligned with the local streamline direction on the hood.

Removing the cowl will likely not have your intended air flow intent as this is a high pressure area. Outside air is expected to flow in at that point, not out. Some wool tufts on the very back of your hood will reveal the flow direction very quickly.
Appreciate 1