05-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #11946
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
Has anyone ever replaced a convertible roof ? My E88 rear glass has separated from the cover again and I'm done trying to glue it. I've seen complete roof units including the frame on eBay for $550 including shipping which I can live with if it fixes the issue. So, my question is, how difficult is this ? I'm thinking it can't be so bad since I'm replacing the frame and cover as one piece but does anyone have any insight on this ? Is it just a few bolts and an electrical connector or is there more to it, hydraulics, a major tear down, etc ?
I have a decent amount of experience wrenching, done an engine swap on a Speed6, did my downpipes, intercooler, walnut blast on the N54, so I'm not scared to get my hands dirty and get stuck in. It's my daily so it needs to be a weekend job....thanks in advance.
If you do the job, I'd be interested to know. I expect you'd be able to pick one up very cheap from a wrecker. Removal seems pretty straightforward (but I wouldn't under-estimate the weight of the roof) - but I thought I read somewhere that re-installation requires re-tensioning of the mechanism, and I'd hate to think what's involved in that.

I'm driving around with an acrylic back window. It works, and because it weights almost nothing compared to glass it's not going anywhere. But it looks like shit.

I just can't justify $3k on a new roof.

Last edited by xQx; 05-28-2019 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0