View Single Post
      08-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #67
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Thank you for sharing! The next time you have a chance can you let us know the exact make/model of your tires so we can look them up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
LUCKY1...I had a set of really soft Blizzaks on my wife old G35 sedan. I think they were the older equivalent of the WS60 blizzack. They were really really soft. The tire wear in the dry was BAD. The rear tires were in bad shape after only one winter, granted my wife has a heavy foot on the throttle. We have a place at Whistler so they got lots of use in snow and cold. Their traction in snow was great. Their traction in ice was AMAZING! I would be driving around Whister watching cars slide past stop signs or have trouble going (most would have snow tires on up there) but the G35 would stop and go with no ABS or traction control intervention. The tires performance in the rain was great and in the dry was also good. Treadwear was a problem. In comparision, the "high performance Blizzak winter tires" I have on my 135 are good in the snow and rain and fine in the dry. Treadwear is not a problem. I used them last winter and my rears had maybe 10% more wear then the fronts. Compared to the softer Blizzaks, I'd say my snow traction was vertually as good but they were not as good in pure ice. I used them in a few light snowfalls but also in a few really heavy snowfalls last year. I made it out of my place in Whistler after 30cm of fresh snow no problem and all the way back down the famous Sea-to-sky highway in that same heavy snow no problems. The only place I found they fall short of the softer Blizzaks (such as a WS60) was in the ice. Those soft Blizzaks did miracles on ice.
Appreciate 0