European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Arrow AHL2 EU headlight Coding...

Name:  Lichtverteilung_AHL.JPG
Views: 24008
Size:  774.0 KB

AHL or Adpative Head Light II, were first introduced on the e6x european models. The headlights will have a wide angle beam pattern at low speeds while have a narrow long throw pattern at high speeds(above 110 km/h). But BMW chose not to offer this feature on US spec cars. I don't know why(US DOT maybe?).

While at our Welt 4.0 car show... Frank from Car-Coding.de was coding some of our Euro 1Addicts member cars. One thing he told us about is that IF we have the euro headlight switch which activates the rear brake fogs... he can code our AHL to AHL2 euro specs.

Now my headlights not only move side to side like before(when the headlight switch in is the AUTO position) but BOTH headlights will now move up and down as well! When you turn on the headlights the thing you notice first is the low beams point outwards at about ~40' angle. After driving a few times at night - I am sold on this mod. Just thought I would share it with you guys and get the word out. Maybe US coders can start to offer this. ?

Frank also coded my brake lights to the Adaptive German specs, which at high decel rates, my third brake light will now flash rapidly and the inside rear brake fog lights will momentarily light up for a second or so(in addition to the outer brake light bulbs)in the tail lights.

E-Mail: mail@car-coding.de

Car Coding Programming_Package_for_US_spec_BMW_eng_copy.pdf

videos of AHL2 coding in action...

NOTE: the car MUST be running in order to see the driver's side low beam move outwards. When you only have the key fob switch on... the headlight will only move up and down. As see here...

UPDATE...

Here is the line code to change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Well this turned out to be MUCH easier (and more obvious!) than I would have expected given that it's remained a mystery this long. I found someone who offers paid coding and lists AHL2 activation among his options. I emailed him explaining that I was already a fairly experienced coder but couldn't find out how to enable this one feature or even whether it was possible for my car, and told him that if he offers remote coding I would pay him for this single feature. He generously replied back just telling me how to enable it!

There are no VO changes required. The setting is in the NFRM module, and its super-secret name to disguise it from everyone is...."AHL2_ENABLE". You just have to set that to "aktiv". My M3 now behaves exactly like the video in this thread.

I'm thinking this setting gets defaulted to enabled or disabled appropriately by region because the car's model code in the VO is different based on region; for example, my M3's model code is KG93, which I believe means "US-spec left-hand drive M3 Coupe".
Appreciate 1