View Single Post
      09-12-2010, 02:58 AM   #77
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Not true. Porsche built 1,570 of the 1973 Carrera 2.7 and they are selling at auction for $300k lately and they were immediately popular upon release as classics (sold out the entire initial production run on the first day).
I assume you are mentioning the 1973 Carrera 2.7 RS which has 1580 (some sources said 1590) units build?

If yes, then this is another scenario: Carrera 2.7 RS is what Porsche purposely designed and build for entering racing formulae that demanded that a certain minimum number of production cars were made. They are sold by demand, not by pre-defined limited production numbers. Porsche internal document showed that back in 1972 they 'planned to build at least 500 cars'. The 1973 model is describe by Porsche as 'limited production' means such configuration (engine, body etc.) was only build in that model year, you can order as much as you can if you have money; but after that year, Porsche just stop producing such configuration (the 1974 US version Carrera only has the 165 bhp CIS engine due to emission regulation).

Now back to our topic: if 1M is dedicated designed and build (like the M3, M5), not just a rush project product to seize out last drop of profit from a retiring old platform, not 'borrow' other model's parts in order to save costs, and for 2700 production number, I can say it might have a chance to become a collector's car; But look at the 1M now, see how and why it was developed, I seriously doubt it can keep value as good as the 8 series...
Appreciate 0