Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I certainly respect your point of view, and that's a stress free way to go about modding. However, if you are mechanically inclined, I would always suggest installing parts yourself starting with the simple things. Most DIY threads give a pretty good idea of the level of difficulty involved in a particular task.

There are two good reasons I suggest this. The first being money kept in your pocket. I just helped/taught a friend how to install lowering springs on his Infinity. This saved him hundreds of dollars with no adverse effects. I realize that to some though, piece of mind outweighs cost savings.

The second reason is This. All too often, you see and hear people that have 10k in mods all installed by their "tuning shop" when something goes wrong somewhere. Now, they are at the mercy of whatever shop did whatever mod. They have no clue what caused their problem, what the fix is, and what to do or not do to keep the car running until it's fixed. Many times, the shop installing parts doesn't have the same level of respect for your car as you do. Then you hear the complaints of incompetence, being without the car for a weekend, fighting with a cc company etc.....

I'm not saying become a mechanic overnight. I'm just saying start simple and don't be too intimidated when it comes to mods. The knowledge you gain by trying it yourself (or with a knowledgeable friend) will reap great returns in the future.

Just my .02.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Tuning shops don't give a fuck about your car. Good luck going back to them if the bar clunks off on the highway. They have zero liability. I also highly doubt that they would even go so far as to look up the proper torque values for the specific car.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0