09-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944 View Post
Funny you should ask; the 944 in my garage was the development car driven by Al at Autothority which had the original APE SSK in it when I bought it from Autothority. If you had the Stage 2 chips, you may also have had the KLR chip I had developed for the 944T I built.
I would love to get my 1M to feel the same on the shifting as my 944 but if the internal are similar to the 944, I think the gate setup in the trans will need to be polished on the shifting fingers inside the trans to make the transitions smoother (mine has hung up a few times trying to downshift into 2nd if I go too fast).
Hey! I have also driven that car!! That was that light silver car with the gold BBS wheels back then. I remember when you had just bought that car Scott and you were overhauling the entire drive train! What a mess that was. I remember when Al lent me that car over night... and I said right then and there I MUST buy one of those things soon. But the insurance was a killer back then, so I had to wait a few years. I also remember Al popped out the 500 HP chips and let me limp around on 340 Hp. lol

I'm David, Larry's VW dealer buddy from Tyson Corner. I used to come by and hang out there all the time around '89- 95ish. I had a white VW Corrado G60 that we did the stage I/II and III chips on. And later I had a VR6 that you guys played around with. Small world.

APE also help me rebuild my '86 951's tranny(my car was also silver) when it blew 2nd gear apart in '95. You guys machined and installed a LSD(with 917 friction discs) in it for me. I had all your APE stage II chips, test pipe and your SSK. I forget the engineer who worked up front who later went to go to work for RennTech in FL. He was also a nice guy.

Btw... I heard Al is now selling CNC machines. Those were the gold old days when Al would blow up engines on the dyno just to see where their limits were.
Appreciate 0