View Single Post
      09-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

The track with of the 1 series is the same as the e90's....it's the overhangs that are shorter so there are issues with the amount of rubber than can be fit under there. I dissagree with Kori about the "high center of gravity" of the 1 series. I think that is over blown b/c if you look at our cars and e90's, both with sunroofs...the height of the cars is very close. If you're looking for a track only car, and you want something different, a 135 could be a good choice. In some regards b/c of the torque monster engines in the 135 the driving experience compared to the m3's is very different and could provide you with a more enjoyable, and faster, time around the track.

E36's and E46's are well known to have structural issues where the subframes mount and need quite of bit of strengthening there. Sure there are kits from like Turner, but unless you have a welder and experience you still have to pay for the labor to get that put in.

In reality I'd say either one will make a decent platform. Both will have pluses and minuses as to which one is better. Ultimately you have to decide which one fits you more. But if we're talking purely cost here, an E36 is going to win b/c of initial purchase price being so cheap at this point.