08-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
From NHTSA site
Full writeup from the BMW recall sheet (found when you enter vin into BMW site and hit download button):

Safety Recall 19V-579
Blower-Motor-Wiring
Model Year 2008-2012
BMW 1 Series Coupe / Convertible
Last Update: 08/07/2019

Q1. Which BMW models in the US are potentially affected by this Safety Recall?
Approximately 41,981Model Year 2008-2012 BMW 1 Series Coupe / Convertible vehicles in the
US, produced between Nov. 1, 2007 and Sep. 5, 2011, are potentially affected.

Q2. What is the specific issue?
This issue involves the wiring for the system – known as the “blower-motor” – that controls air
flow for the heating and air conditioning system. Over time, and due to a number of contributing
factors, the connection between the wiring and this system can degrade.

Q3. What can happen as a result of this issue?
Degradation of the wiring connection over time, due to long-term exposure to vehicle vibrations
and climatic conditions, could lead to corrosion and possibly to an increase in electrical
resistance at the connection. In rare cases, this could further lead to overheating, the possibility
of melting at the connection point, and potentially to a short circuit. In extremely rare cases, the
melting could propagate and lead to a fire.

Q4. Why are other vehicles not included in this Safety Recall?
Other models have different designs for the blower-motor wiring, and for the blower-motor which
controls air flow for the heating and air conditioning system.

Q5. Do I need to stop driving my vehicle?
No. The possibility of this issue occurring is extremely rare.

However, you should stop driving your vehicle if any of the following warning signs occur:
- You see smoke entering the interior through the heating and cooling air vents.
- You smell smoke, or a plastic burning odor, in the interior.

If any of these warning signs occur, then as soon as possible, carefully move away from traffic,
pull over to a safe location, and shut off the engine. All occupants should carefully exit the vehicle
and move to a safe location away from traffic. Do not continue to drive your vehicle.

Dial 911 in the event of an emergency or contact an authorized BMW center immediately to have
your vehicle brought in for inspection and, if necessary, repair.

If an authorized BMW center is not available, then contact BMW Roadside Assistance at 1-800-332-4269.
Please note that if you no longer have roadside coverage, you may be required to pay
in advance for the towing service. However, BMW will reimburse you for the towing service after
validation of the recall repair claim.

Q6. Can I determine if this issue exists in my vehicle?
No. This can only be determined through proper inspection at an authorized BMW center.

Q7. How did BMW become aware of the problem?
BMW became aware of the problem through our quality control procedures.

Q8. How will I be informed of this Safety Recall?
You will receive a letter in September via First Class mail advising you of this Safety Recall.
Depending upon parts availability, this letter may request you to schedule an appointment with
an authorized BMW center to have this Safety Recall performed. In cases where parts are not
immediately available, you will receive a second letter when parts become available, advising you
to schedule an appointment with an authorized BMW center at that time to have this Safety Recall performed. You can locate your nearest authorized BMW center
at www.bmwusa.com/dealer.

To ensure the BMW Group has your most recent contact and vehicle information, please register
your vehicle at www.bmwusa.com/myBMW. Registration is free, and will give you access to
factory initiated campaigns and other information specific to your vehicle.

Q9. How will my vehicle be repaired?
The wiring leading to the system that controls the heating and air conditioning system (the
blower-motor) will be inspected and a new part will be installed. In some cases, additional
components may need to be replaced which will be determined at the time of repair.

Q10. How long will the repair take?
This repair should take approximately one to two hours, depending upon the specific repair
necessary; however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s
schedule. The repair will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW center.

Q11. Do I have to wait for my letter to have my vehicle serviced?

No. Please contact an authorized BMW center immediately to have this Safety Recall performed. For
the latest updates to this Safety Recall, please visit www.bmwusa.com/recall.

Q12. I see the “TREAD Act Customer Reimbursement Plan” attached to my letter. Can
you explain what that is about? Am I eligible for reimbursement?

If you have already had this repair performed at your own expense, you may be eligible for
reimbursement of certain expenses that you incurred.
Appreciate 0