View Single Post
      09-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #17
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1 View Post
Okay here is a looong overdue update on the Federal FZ 201 soft (40 TW). My first set delaminated after 17-18 heat cycles (for reference, heat cycle = session). I have run 2 additional sets of these tires and I must say, I am quite impressed. Longevity is consistent with what I have reported previously but what you get for the price is noteworthy. Depending on how long/hard you run these per heat cycle, expect about 20 sessions shelf life. This is similar, or slightly less, than what you can expect from the RE71R ("200" TW).

Okay so only 20 sessions? Well yea, but you won't see 20 sessions of consistent lap time out of Hoosiers. If you are buying Hoosiers already, the FZ Soft (40 TW) would make for a good practice tire.

The 100 TW version (Medium compound) I have seen my friends use in excess of 30 sessions with no delamination problems and no significant drop-off. I cannot personally comment on the lap times of the Medium 100 TW, but from peer feedback they are much faster than the R888R and slightly slower then the RE71R. The FZ Medium is similar price to the FZ Soft.

Okay so lap times. I have been running RE71R as my "practice" tire and the FZ Soft as my time attack competition tire. The FZ soft is 0.5 to 1 second per lap faster versus the RE71R depending on the track (or the size of my plums on any given day). I find the FZ and RE to have similar feel with regard to slip angle and breakaway. The RE falls off faster than the FZ when overheated. If you are running the RE and want a faster tire at 60-70% of the cost, check out the Federals. If you are running the RE and want a "fast" tire that lasts longer, albeit slower, move to the FZ Medium or R888R or Nankang.

With regard to R888R lap times, I am 3 seconds faster on the RE71R, and 4 seconds faster on the FZ Soft. This was at Palmer, a local track, where I have the most experience.

This past week I was at Watkins Glen for a time attack and my transponder time was 2:10.6 on the FZ Soft. In practice I ran a 2:11.6 on the RE71R. So there you go. Last year I was several seconds slower on the R888R.

Bottom line:

The FZ Soft (from PTS) is only $153/tire versus $225-$300 per tire offered by other manufacturers

The FZ Soft is a bargain for the grip/pace gained versus a "200"/100 TW tire like the RE71R or R888R

The FZ Soft do not drop off before they are used up (or come apart) like higher TW tires

I will personally use FZ Soft until I fully commit to Hoosiers
what kind of times are you running at Palmer on these? On a side note, Palmer is pretty cool (ambient temp wise) every time I've been there (like 50-60f). I'm curious how these hold up at a day of lapping in 95f+ weather. did you get any days in at Palmer like that? Soft compound tires generally start to get greasy. I ran RS-RR and they were like that on hot days. Better suited for autocross or time attack where you only lap hard for 1-2 laps.
Appreciate 0