View Single Post
      02-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #186
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank772 View Post
....Disregarding the need to register and code for a new battery may result in improper charging. .....

I've read this same caveat with different emphasis for my BMWs and Mercedes. The "coding" only ensures battery type (flooded cell vs. AGM for example) and amperage. If what you are saying is that critical you would need to get it "coded" every time you charged a battery as well (trickle or fast). It is important to charge an AGM battery at a different rate than a flooded cell and it is also important to note amperage but like I said if you replace it with a like battery from any manufacturer it should be good to go. I'm also very skeptical about the age of the battery being that meaningful to the charging algorithm. Somebody driving mostly at night in a wet and severely cold/wet/snow environment may only get 3 years out of a battery where someone in a dry mild environment only driving during the day could easily get twice that. How does the ECU differentiate between the two? I think the dealers just want the $200 coding fee because it's easy money (that's what is charged in my neck of the woods). This is the internet so I could be wrong about all of this
Appreciate 0