07-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
And11
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

[VIC] 135i member signing in

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking these forums so long I feel embarrassed to say I’m a new member, but yeah I'm long overdue to say hi . I’ve previously owned a BB4 VTEC Prelude and then a DC2 Type R so I’m one of those Honda fanboys. The Type R is absolutely fantastic - practical, robust, economical, light, raw and fun - so it was really hard to let go.

But after a long ownership it was time to try something new and a bit more comfortable (thinking rear doors would be good for the school run with 2 kids). I always wanted to own one of these renowned BMW inline 6’s (with a manual) so kept my eye out for a 130i - twice came close but didn’t work out. Then saw my N54 135i last year in Alpine White with Coral Red (same combo as my R) in good condition and low ks and surprised the wife gave the go ahead, despite no rear doors. Purchased after a BMW inspection came clean and happy days.

My R was quite modded, overly stiff competition TEIN coilovers, forged wheels, Spoon brakes, full I/H/E etc. A stock 1500kg 135i just doesn’t compare handling wise… but it's so much more refined as a daily and that smooth 6 with plentiful torque is bliss! It’s been observed and discussed many times but those rock hard runflats and wobbly rear end are pretty bad.

I expected going from a 1.8 to a 3.0TT, fuel usage would be very different (13 l/100km vs 9 l/100km), but I didn’t expect the range to be even lower (350-400 vs 420-450). I can almost work out the employee shifts at my local BP

Of course with a new ride the mod bug bit immediately:
- JBSpeed Black front Grills (metallic stripes - maybe still not subtle enough)
- LED Angel Eyes (outer rings are still a problem)
- Tune2Air Bluetooth adapter
- Blackline tail lights
- CF diffuser
- Interior refresh (wrapped fake wood trim in 3M 1080 Carbon wrap, handbrake & shift suede boot, ZHP knob)
- Apex ARC-8 w/Michelin PS4 (a few weeks ago)

Was going to do MHD but wanted to get to learn the car first - plus my Nexus 7 usb port went iffy so I’m scared to brick the ECU. Also a few months after owning it, I started noticing uneven idle and even had a CEL with a misfire. Got myself Carly and the bluetooth adapter and replaced coils on first 3 cylinders and the car was purring again. Few months later another episode and I started worrying about injectors. Luckily found this thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post15189668 and after a couple of tanks I’ve been fine since (touch wood). Might need to do a walnut blast before I look at MHD.

I am a newbie when it comes to turbocharged mods, so I’m still wrapping my head around charge pipes, BOV, DV, DP’s, Intercoolers etc. Have to say threads here like @vtl’s incredible one has helped heaps. Didn’t know the intercooler change was such a simple DIY. Also very impressed with CIC (mine doesn’t have idrive/nav).

Main priority now is to sort out the suspension though. The Michelins are great and have softened/smoothed the ride with increased grip, although I’m still having some rub issues with 235/265 setup (that APEX said wouldn’t rub on stock suspension - to be fair the tolerances are very tight). Rears have been rolled by the famous and awesome Athid Robert, but fronts probably need some camber plates / stiffer springs. Ohlins / Bilsteins? Still deciding as it’s primarily a daily. Maybe I just need a bit more stock camber - haven’t done the front alignment pins yet. Did buy the Whiteline KDT917 subframe bushings from the eBay sale recently.

Anyway I’ve overdone this for a first post. Hope to meet and discuss these fantastic cars with you all in the future

Cheers
Andy

Appreciate 1