View Single Post
      09-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #70
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Many thanks to all who posted as this was my reference for the first oil and filter change on the new 128i at 1200 mi.

The only major difference from what was pictured above was that the 2013 128 drains out the side of the pan instead of straight down.. It can make a serious mess like mentioned on the 135.. Fortunately, seeing this coming and had a binder clip and walked past a pack of playing cards... *clip* Problem solved..

What seemed like 50 pounds of hot oil out and a half-hour draining, I have never seen that amount of oil in an engine of that size and sat nursing beer in amazement, pondering dead, synthetic dinosaurs.

Filter and o-rings are exactly as prescribed above. Cleaned the housing and installed the new filter, o-rings and secured the cap. All tightened to the factory paint lines with a old skool oil wrench over a new shop towel as Tischer forgot to ship mine when I ordered the 50 pounds of oil and the filter.

Last of all, 6 1/2 quarts in.. Startup and first check ever so slightly over full. My assumption is a residual couple hundred pounds of fluid left in the motor..

Overall, this is the easiest oil and filter change on any vehicle that I have ever owned. Brilliantly designed with the only exception of the drain bolt direction.. Straight down would have been nice, but overall I could care less.. The whole process took an hour..

Items of note are that the oil wasn't that bad at 1200 miles but needed to go.. The filter was trashed and black.. Identifiable metal in the filter and in the bottom of the filter housing. It was time....

Thanks again to Jim and David for the insight!
Appreciate 1