View Single Post
      10-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #42
02Pilot
Malcontent
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
I don't know how to feel on this subject. On one hand, the water pump will fail, that's a given. Problem is, there are no signs really so you will be stuck at the least, or cause damage at worst... and I now work at a bmw store. I've had conversations with several techs about the issue, and you'll get 5 different opinions on the replace or leave it until it fails, but one thing they all say is that its a crappy design and it will fail. Nobody seems to know the exact reason they fail... My car only has 12500 miles on it now, but it is almost 7 years old. I've finally started driving it much more often, so we'll see. I'll probably have them change it some time next year, just because I don't want to worry about it every time I take a longer trip... and for that reason I feel more comfortable taking longer trips in my 100k+ Honda crv and that shouldn't be.
The reasoning you mention is exactly why I changed mine proactively (though granted at 100k miles). I'm driving from NY to Maine tomorrow - I would hate to do that drive, or a longer one, with the thought of water pump failure in my mind all the way.

A bunch of years ago I had a turbo blow up (full Spyhunter smokescreen and everything) at 1:00am on I95 near the South Carolina/Georgia border. Having had to go through that ordeal (imagine the fun of trying to find shop that was willing and able to swap a turbo on a Saab over a weekend in that area), I'm pretty committed to aggressive preventive maintenance.
Appreciate 0