View Single Post
      11-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #105
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

Sorry, but some people seem to be putting the E30 M3 on a pedestal and it is making me silly. It was very succesful on the track etc. I have a friend here that has a very clean and well kept red one and I have driven others too.

What is special about them is that they are fun to drive like a spec Miata. Good handling(most of the time, they had a terrible rear axle design) and not too fast so you can run it through the gears and have fun. But...

I would not give someone my cell phone, my plasma TV, iphone and the other great things new technology has provided me to go back 20 years....

So why then would I want give up my vastly improved and modern BMW to drive around in an old M3? Even for track days. They are loud, the engine is dying for balance shafts, and they are merely quick with fun, but not great handling. Try lifting the throttle mid turn in one and you can find yourself looking at the car that was behind you through your windshield.

A classic and important car, yes, but not really a great car by todays terms. I know this will get me into lots of trouble, but many here are looking backwards through rose color glasses. I still love them but they are what they are.

With a complete E9X M3 suspension and brakes, married to a modified and higher revving N54, I would take an 1M anyday.
Appreciate 0