View Single Post
      04-18-2014, 05:40 AM   #42
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

This thread has raised some interesting issues, and even after several years of club sprints (circuit racing) I am still very much in a learning phase. Apologies if I am making unsubstantiated assumptions or jumping to conclusions in the following text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I have a question. What if your car is heavily tuned for straighline power? Should I run a stock tune or something much less powerful. Key to note; that will not be how my car gets driven on the street. Also, will be running my DD Pss'.
Driving on circuit requires a different skillset to driving on public roads, and at more advanced levels encompasses technical competency, mental and physical fitness.

It is apparent that many 1ers on this forum have tuned engines, cosmetic enhancement, and perhaps even performance upgrades. It is also apparent that many 1ers on this forum also have limited or no track experience. Problems can arise when these two subpopulations overlap. My impression is that as the performance capabilities of a vehicle exceed a driver's skill level, there is increasing potential for adverse incidents.

The E82 lineup already has a high performance ceiling - note how many have crashed their vehicles (on public roads and in racing), aside from suffering personal injury.

(I developed confidence on the 125i, but have been racing the 1M for over two years.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
There enlies the problem that I believe that many missed. I certainly understand the reasoning and value in learning in the stock much less powerful car. The problem is that my vehicle will never be driven at those power levels on the street. My car makes 100 whp/80wtq over stock just on the pump gas tune. How will what I learn on the strack in a stock car with a completely different power/torque curve properly translate to my souped up mode on the street. I find the learning translation and application a little hard to believe.
Regarding the E82 on circuit, probably the greatest risk is in oversteer scenarios given the short-wheelbase and high torque of N54/N55 engines. As mentioned by others, horsepower is (more than) sufficient. In fact, horsepower is one of the least relevant factors to performance on circuit - driving technique, handling/stability, and traction limits are paramount.

(Unfortunately, there are few competitive racers who will disclose this on such a public forum.)

Ultimately it is your decision, and you may feel more comfortable driving whatever and however your vehicle is set up for public roads. Ultimately, the driver is accountable for this decision and any sequelae.

Whatever you decide, I hope you (and the OP) enjoy your time on circuit ... a controlled environment where we can truly appreciate these monsters
Appreciate 0