Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
This has always been an odd view to me. Someone pays almost as much for a loaded 135i and because it’s not perceived as being as collectible and values are much less prone to hold, there is a relaxed nature about how you can use the car without the fear of damaging the resale value. But fact is, you buy both, you drive both, the 1M still holds considerably more value than the 135i..

So why wouldn’t you just buy the car with higher value retention and use it the same, and when it comes time to sell (if that arrives), you still lose less money.

My friend paid $107K aud on a loaded 135i and said this to me also, he says he doesn’t need to worry about his car depreciating, but his car is now worth about $20K.

If I was choosing between three cars and couldn’t decide, I’d simply choose the car which would likely depreciate less. That has to be the best choice.
I don't imagine that he was talking about buying the 135i new. When faced with buying a new 135i or 1M eight years ago, the 1M was surely a no-brainer for the extra several grand, and a lot of new 2011 135i buyers are surely kicking themselves today.

Nowadays though, when you can buy a nice 135i for only $15K-$20K and then mod to taste, the decision is more dubious. That being said, to get back to the thread topic, I'm seeing that a lot of 1Ms on Bringatrailer have been only going in the $39k-$50k range the last few months, so that's changing the calculation a bit to me.
Those $40k-50k 1M's have been Canadian or mid-mileage cars in the 40k+ range.

Canadian cars certainly go for lower....I guess it puts off many perspective buyers?

Also, Don't forget BAT slaps another 5% plus Canadian cars also have some export tax or something that needs to be paid as well.
Appreciate 0