View Single Post
      07-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #170
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
So you ran St XTA coilovers, then the XTA Springs with Clubsport dampers (?), Moton´s and now fortunes, right?

Can you give a short summary what were the differences?
I have an XTA with Standard rates atm and still not decided what to do next (because i want to see if new coilovers make a difference): Buy KW Clubsports (maybe with 1m rates), buy Öhlins with Fitting rates or maybe even go KW Competition...

Would like to hear a summary from someone who tried that much Setups.
I've run the following setups:
ST-XTA (only 4-5 events)
KW V3 (~10 events)
MCS 1WNR (~10 events)
Fortune Auto 510s (haven't run them yet)
** Never ran Motons

Yes, I have a problem with switching setups way too often and would probably be faster if I just stuck with a shock for longer than half a season lol... Plan to run the Fortunes until I hit the limits of the car and will then likely run MCS 2WNR (12-18mo from now).

I'd suggest going with a mid level monotube, I would love the Bilstein clubsports or MCS 2Ways but they're both pricey. Fortune Auto is often overlooked but plenty of fast drivers run them, I personally think that KWs are a bit overhyped unless you're going with their competition shocks / Clubsports. Bilstein PSS10s are also awesome and bulletproof, just throw some linear springs on them w/ camber plates.

In regards to reviewing the coilovers, here's a brief overview... The KWs had the most adjustment range being 2-way adjustable but couldn't handle large bumps and curbs anywhere near as well as the MCSs. I expect the 510s to be very similar to the MCS shocks in terms of adjustability and handling of aggressive driving. I actually ran a 1:59 at Buttonwillow with MCS front shocks and some old Fortune 500 rears off my M3 last weekend in 107* heat (awaiting my rear 510s to arrive as they were damaged during shipping). I'm guessing this ability to keep the car settled while taking corners aggressively, hitting berms and "2 or 3 wheeling" is thanks to the (generally) superior design of monotube shocks

I definitely picked up 1-2 seconds at most tracks by moving from the XTA to the V3 shocks (with Swift linear springs) last year. I'm sure some of this was also me just developing as a driver. I'm fairly new to the track world and plan on sticking with the Fortunes for a good while. I don't expect much difference between the MCS 1WNR and 510s, it was a financial decision as I got an extremely good deal on the Fortunes and my MCSs were basically new to sell.

The next few months will be the true test of the setup as I finally have adequate cooling and should get a bunch of seat time over the rest of the summer.