View Single Post
      04-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #57
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post
Dinan software does have its pluses for sure.

- Warranty
- True computer reflash through OBD-II port
- Doesn't just confuse factory ECU
- Controls boost, fuel, timing, cooling system
- Doesn't have thermal problems of other tunes

I would bet a lot of money some of haters would stop if it didn't cost $2k. Dinan software is the real deal.
In addition to those, v3 will also uses boost logic based on TPS and IAT, along with mod specific maps. It will proactively use that data to prevent knock, and dial back boost in the event of increasing temperatures, in additon to offer superior boost control than either the stock ECU OR Dinan at part throttle. It also is programmed to on the fly adjust timing based on a combination of boost, AIT, and RPM, and will make these changes proactively rather than reactively like the stock DME. What's more, they haven't pushed the unit quite as far as it will go in terms of possible features the unit could allow. There's talk of launch control, and they'd only have to intercept a couple more wires to make it work. I'm pretty sure they have enough I/Os left to do that.

Dinan is nice for the warranty, but I don't see anything else you listed as a real advantage. True reflash through OBD2 port means that you can't sell the tune when you sell the car. Piggybacks my work by "confusing" the ECU, if one chooses to put it so simply, but how is that a disadvantage? Adding a piggyback doesn't take away any of the functionality the ECU already has, if it's programmed right. Instead, it adds many, many more options in terms of tunability, versatility, and additional capabilities. Also, I really haven't heard of anyone having any more or any less cooling problems because of a tune. The Dinan tune increasing water pump duty cycle is a nice touch. Basically, they add a low-temp thermostat for you, but given that most of the N54 cooling issues have been related to oil rather than coolant temperature, I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make.

I don't mean to sound argumentative. Dinan is a very nice tune. However, the only real advantage it has over the high-end microchip piggybacks is that Dinan will warranty it. The disadvantage to this is if you use any non Dinan aftermarket parts, your warranty is shot.

In other words, when my car gets here, I can slap on my RR catless DPs, along with an FMIC and Procede, and end up with 400rwhp that's proven to be quite reliable. That's M5 or C6 fast, and it can be had for $4k with installation. That's about the price of a Dinan flash, and oil cooler minus laybor, that will net you about 80hp less at the wheels. My guess is, a Dinan package with that sort of power (what they'd call 460hp) would cost more than $10,000. I'd figure $2500 for flash, $2000 oil cooler, $2500 for intercooler, $1300 for axleback, $2000 for downpipes. They might even require more nonesense, like a $1000 intake, or sell it as part of a $22,000 package like the S2 335i in this month's Roundel.

You kept your warranty, but the amount of money I saved means that I can replace almost anything that explodes, short of a new shortblock. $6k+ is easily custom built forged internals, assuming the absolute worst.

The only issues I've heard of on any cars are toasted wastegates, which happens stock, and excessive oil temp, which hopefully won't be an issue with the stock secondary oil cooler on the 135.

Mods please feel free to delete this if it's too off topic, but I wanted to put in my two cents (ok, maybe more than two cents) worth on this. There seems to be a common perception that a reflash like Dinan is patently superior just because it's a reflash, when this simply isn't true when you compare it to a good, high tech micro-processor controlled piggyback. Dinan is a great option for someone who wants to pick up an extra 60hp or so and keep their warranty, but it really doesn't offer the richness of features, customizatbility, upgradeability, or potential that Procede or the other high processor power piggybacks with digital I/O do. If one is happy with 320-340whp, and never wants to touch anything again, it works GREAT, but if someone is bitten by the mod bug, a good piggyback like procede is the clear choice.

If I were deciding between a Procede v3 and Dinan Flash as my ONLY mod, I might go with the Dinan flash, because it wouldn't be THAT down on power, you don't need all the features v3 has at that point, and the warranty from Dinan is nice incase you get real unlucky and something goes wrong. However, given I plan on doing a good deal more modding than just a tune, a piggyback with the flexibility of Proced v3 would be a better choice. That way, I'm not limited in terms of who's supporting mods I have to buy. I'm quite sure the RR DPs are superior or equal to whatever Dinan will come up with, and probably 60% cheaper. If I wanted to use them with my Dinan flash, bye bye warranty. For intake work, I often custom build, because it's pretty easy to mold some fiberglass, and use it or PVC for ducting, combined with a high-flow filter. However, if I were to do this with Dinan, bye bye warranty. If I feel like paying less than untold thousands for an exhaust, bye bye warranty. Since I plan on doing reasonably substantial mods, something like Procede just makes much more sense for tuning. You pay the extra money for Dinan for the warranty, but if you plan on doing even a BPU level of modifications, you can kiss that warranty goodbye, or you can kiss 10 grand or more goodbye if you do it the Dinan way.

I want to make it clear that I have nothing against the Dinan tune, or people who buy it. It just isn't the best option for me, and seeing as this is a Procede thread, I don't see the harm in pointing out that a sofisticated and well tuned micro processor controlled piggyback is an excellent option for those that want to go beyond the 'chip only' level of tuning.
Appreciate 0