View Single Post
      03-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #39
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Did this install about a week ago. Overall pretty straightforward and DIY'able with hand tools (metric sockets, torx drivers, and a flathead). One thing is that the instructions seem to be omitting a couple of steps - you do have to remove the entire airbox, which necessitates removing the downstream hose that leads to the engine plus the attached MAF. No big deal.

Fit and finish is great - the carbon fiber sure is purdy. Driving impressions? Unfortunately, not much difference that I can tell. I feel like the engine note is enhanced at higher RPMs (4,000+), like the engine sounds even more mechanical turbine-y or something. Of course, you're also dealing with higher wind and road noise at those speeds.

My main reason for getting this is that I'm also fitting the BMW Perfomance exhaust soon (just came in the mail today!) and I sort of feel like the two pieces should work well in harmony. Obviously I'm not talking huge gains, but I think performance and aural gains should be better than with either part alone.

Is this thing worth $700? Honestly, I don't know. I haven't driven my car very hard in the last week. I sort of feel like it's more responsive and slightly growlier, but that could totally be the placebo effect.

I'd say if you have the money and you don't mind spending it, sure, go for it. But if you're pinching pennies and saving up for mods, your money is probably better spent on the exhaust.
Appreciate 0