Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXE82 View Post
Great write up. Do you not have to wait for the car to go to sleep before disconnecting the battery? Seems like that was an important step on my E39.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Good job.

I'm bookmarking this for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXE82 View Post
Great write up. Do you not have to wait for the car to go to sleep before disconnecting the battery? Seems like that was an important step on my E39.
Honestly I've never done this, and neither has anyone else that I know of. That said it can't hurt to be extra cautious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
This should be a sticky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Quote:
Do you not have to wait for the car to go to sleep before disconnecting the battery?
Yes, definitely, unless you want to frizazzle one of your ecu's...

ianc
How do you wait for it to go to sleep with the trunk open? My trunk light & headlights seem to stay on with the trunk open?

Bought a Duralast battery at Autozone. H8-AGM. 900 CCA, 95 AH. It was $199 but got $20 off "managers discount" (ask & ur shall receive).

It's bigger than the H6-BMW flooded acid battery it replaced (which was 640 & 80 AH). It fit and filled the entire space. Followed the directions, installed it easy.

Coded using Carly, connect, read battery info, choices are 80, 90 or 105... hmmm.... Carly says choose the next below the AH rating. Select 90, Register & done.

I didn't bother waiting until the car went to sleep. It worked & nothing terrible happened so that's good.

The only strange thing is that Carly didn't charge me anything to Register the battery. I'm one of the legacy purchasers who got in on the one-time charge for the app vs. now with the annual fee. But I thought registering the battery was still an added charge but it let me do it without a fee so I guess that's good.

Hopefully that stops my S-L-O-W crank issue. We'll see tomorrow.

Thanks Matticus91 great DIY write up.