05-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #94
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
Mechanically, I agree.

And let me preface the next paragraph with this to avoid the uproar and confusion - IF IT DOESNT HAVE QUADS, I AGREE, IT COULD STILL BE AN M CAR.

But as a nod to the brand's "new" identity consider that all M cars for the past 12+ years have a quad pipe setup...beginning in 1998 with the introduction of the M coupe/convertible (a very small car on the z3 chassis with an inline 6 BUT the boys at the M division installed quads), then the e39 M5, then the e46 M3 (another quad on a 6 cylinder), then the e60 M5 and e6x M6s, then the z4 Ms, then the e9x Ms, then the X5/X6 Ms (quads on a forced induction motor...albeit a v8)....see a pattern?

And, lets not forget that we already know quads will be on the F10 M5.

So to reiterate - I'm not mandating that the 1M have quads to actually be an M car in brand or spirit, and it probably doesn't make mechanical sense to have quads, but if it will be an M badged car, I bet it will get the quad treatment to stay in line with the brand image.
I knew you'd come around, Auggie!! I was 100% thinking the exact same thing as you until a week ago. I think it might actually stick with the current set-up to save much needed weight now. I was bummed about it but now I really dont care. Just PERFORM 9/10ths of an M3 and most of us would be excited! A software tune would likely extract the other 1/10th.
Appreciate 0