View Single Post
      12-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

"PyratOne - I think the reason why your dealer was fighting you to replace teh diff oil is bc the +FM fluid is a bit pricey. I have seem posts on other forums that it can costs up to 75 UK pounds per 1/2liter! That is a lot! Also... as to your shop foremen telling you how to detect a diff oil change by some oil dripping off the bottom of teh diff... I think that would be from a sloppy tech. When you change the diff fluid... you keep pumping in fresh new fluid until it spills out of the "fill hole". You would think a tech would pray some BrakeKleen to remove the excess fluid. But most don't. Hence the tell-tale oil drip."

Dackelone,
Could be, I really hope not. Seems like a big risk to put "wrong" fluid of any kind against bulletin recommendation. Whats the saying? "penny wise..." or is it " an ounce of prevention..."? "or is it an a penny of prevention..."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Gentlemen, great thread here just one small thought that was pressed upon me by the ///M folk in Garching. The unit in our our cars is a Full-lock differential. A limited slip unit reduces slip. Our unit will do 100% lock. Out of habit of calling it an LSD, I made the same mistake and was corrected more than once.

: )
Noted, thanks. Seems "LSD" is ubiquitous. Knowing thats is full-lock will help with the research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Pyrat

How many miles on the diff at this point ??? just curious

p.s if you are in NY any time soon, drop me a note and we'll take a peek at your car if you want ..

Regards
@ DriveHard, just hit 3000miles. Many thanks for the offer, but I have no plans to be in NY anytime soon. So, me and Papethova are in same boat I think. We are being told (adamantly told) the fluid was changed at VPC, but its not itemized on invoice. The only "proof" of 1200 mile diff service I have is local dealer service tech (excuse me, foreman) noting the diff fluid spillage. This is adequate documentation in their mind. Not very scientific.
It would be comical if it weren't so frustrating. Oh, I forgot to mention. When I was at the stealership, I asked if I could have the old diff fluid if they were going to change it - and they said no.

So, next step for me? Second opinion from a local BMW mechanic who is respected. I'll talk to him A LOT before I go in. My plan is to save the old diff fluid and consider having it analyzed. For what? I dunno yet. I need to find out what factory fill diff fluid is/was.

for those that are reading this and want to write "c'mon, buddy. Just put some new fluid in there and drive the damn thing!". I am gladly accepting cash from you for new diff repair in 3-4 years.

Top Gear Magazine - Jason Barlow about the 1M
Appreciate 0