08-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I'm changing my oil (128i) yearly. Try not to use the car for very short runs like going to the supermarket and I only put about 5,000 / year on the car.

Do I need to consider more frequent changes??? FWIW while under wtty BMW would only change it annually if mileage was low. (I know BMW isn't terribly concerned about my N52 lasting very long after the wtty expired)
Well... The best oil is fresh oil.

I remember talking to an old VW/Audi tech trainer years ago... someone asked him... Hey, I only drive my car ten miles to work each way... and less than 6K miles in a year. I only change my oil once a year. The VW/Audi trainer said IF it was his car... he would be changing the oil every month! True story.

This same Master Trainer(Jim Sartwell, his son's owned a famous VW Beetle tuning shop in the MD/DC area) also had a '69 Camaro... with only 200 miles on it. This was back in 1998. Jim liked to brag that his Camaro only had 200 miles. but he put them on a 1/4 mile at a time! He would drag race it and it still had it's original window sticker and protective plastic on the seats!!

Most drag racer's change their oil after each run. Oil is cheap, but a new engine isn't.

I think you should probably change your oil twice a year. Once in the Spring and once in the Fall. This is what most classic car owners do. You should also change the other fluids too like Brake, Coolant, Trans and Diff fluids too.

You want fresh oil in the engine over the winter months when you don't drive/run the car. All those short engine runs in the winter months... build up water in the oil... so that's why you should change the oil before using a car for the Spring/Summer. I know you don't store your car... but only driving 5K miles a year...

I would change the oil more than just once a year. But that's just me.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
gjm1202181.50