06-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
I drove one for several days with my 1er in the shop. I enjoyed it. I won't get one but it was a good car. The ZF transmission was wonderful for a torque converter auto. The interior is quite a step above our 1 series (not sure WTF the guy who ripped on the interior was talking about). The 2.0L 4 cylinder was surprisingly stout with a nice powerband. The fuel efficiency was crazy. I hit mid or upper 30s on a 100 mile trip to Nashville. Also the engine sounds pretty good for a 4 cylinder. Nothing to hate on there. It's not a V8 or an I6 so to compare it to one is stupid. Sounds good for a 4 banger.

Probably mostly to do with tires. The servotronic steering isn't nearly as bad as everyone says it is. Half the time it's coming from people with their experience in smaller sporty cars that probably have better tires on them. The 3 series comes with grand touring tires (read soft sidewalls). So yeah a 330 compared to my 128 with 1M front arms and Bilstein B12 is going to seem very soft and sluggish to respond.

You guys should go drive a car that ACTUALLY does suck for driving pleasure before you hate on a 3 series. Try a Chevy Malibu for a month while your 1 series is in the body shop. The 3 series is like a race car comparatively.
The BMW 3 series is more luxurious, and it does have power. But fun to drive? You must be joking.