mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
(long answer to a short question)

I did not buy the car from the previous owner, I bought the car through a second hand dealer who sells exotic used cars on ebay (also on site). The previous owner sold the car to the dealer a couple of months before I bought it, and I only found out who owned the car before, because the prior owner left some service receipts in the owner's manual case.

Once I found out who owned the car, I called the guy up shortly after taking possession and asked if there were any issues with the car; he said "no." Only after taking delivery of the car and owning for a few months was it obvious that the car had a battery drain issue, and the car ended up stone cold dead after I let it sit about 10 days without driving it, and not on a charger. I called the prior owner at that time and he said that he was used to having to replace batteries every 2 years, since cars in cold climates (Toronto in his case) don't last long.

My dealer's technician told me he had found a current draw, but did not know what it was, when I brought the car in after getting it jumped, when it was dead. They said they could trace it down, so I let them. It turned out to be this Lojack device. Lojack, by the way, has ceased operations in Canada, although they were operating there back when this 1M was new. I called the selling dealer and they denied any knowledge of this device. I called the prior owner then, again, and asked him; he denied any knowledge of this.

Obviously, someone was lying, presumably the former owner. I could not see any point in accusing him of that on the phone however.

I should note that in the Lojack advertising materials they state that they have many different places in cars where they hide their devices, because they don't want them to be found. It is very likely that assuming that the former owner was the one to install the device, that he did not know where it was located in the car.
Ok... Just wondered.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0