Thread: Spare Tires?
View Single Post
      08-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #54
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have always felt more comfortable having a spare on-board. My other vehicle, a Suzuki SUV, has a full sized spare hanging off the back. The only time I have used it I would have also resolved the issue with a compressor. It was a slow leak, in other words. I carry a Viair 70P compressor in my bimmer now. It's about $50 from Amazon - but get the clips to go on the battery so you can air up without the engine running. I like this compressor well enough I don't bother to move my vehicles to my lower driveway to use my big compressor. It takes less time to just use the little 12V one. I use it on my SUV too.

I've had one blow out in 40+ years driving and it was on a dry rotted boat trailer tire. I feel pretty safe with my compressor and no spare - but I feel better equipped with my full sized spare equipped SUV.

If you get a spare, make sure you keep it aired up (and/or carry a compressor). I don't know about bmw spares but others I have used need 60 psi. They leak down quicker than your car tires. A flat spare doesn't do much good.

Jim