View Single Post
      05-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
I don't see how that would ever be the case when there is no load on the T.O. bearing when your foot is off the pedal. The bearing is not even spinning.
Your thinking is sound.
However, I've had a bad/worn TOB and the symptoms were the same, when in neutral and clutch pedal not depressed there was a rattling sound.
When I pushed the clutch pedal in the noise would stop.

I think the key here is when in "neutral", and the clutch is engaged, meaning the pedal is not being pushed in.
Pushing the pedal in activates the TOB to push against pressure plate release to move the clutch away from the flywheel. At that point the TOB is under pressure and no noise.

Sitting in neutral, clutch pedal up, there is no pressure on the TOB, as the clutch is engaged and if it's a good bearing then no noise. But, if it's worn it can still rattle as the input shaft is still spinning.

Doing reading on this you find many have said that they hear a rattle when they push the pedal in. And, then there are others who say they hear the rattle when the pedal is not pushed in.
As you or the other poster said, IF everything is fine, then there SHOULD be no noise. But a bad/worn TOB isn't fine, there's something wrong with it.
That could explain why we hear/read of rattling when the pedal is depressed and when it's released.

I'll repeat this again, also for my own thinking to try and keep this straight.
I think the difference is if the trans is in neutral or in gear.
When in gear, and the pedal is depressed, the clutch separates from the flywheel. Once the trans input slows and stops there should be no noise as long as the clutch pedal is pushed in.
Once it's released the clutch contacts the flywheel and we're moving.
Perhaps we're just not hearing an loss TOB tolerance due to all the other sounds coming from the engine, trans, and car in motion.

When the car comes to a stop, the clutch pedal is pushed and the clutch disengages, trans rotations stop and no noise, as long as the pedal stays pushed in.

But, if neutral is selected, and the clutch pedal is released, the clutch is engaged to the flywheel and the trans input shaft is spinning, and if the TOB is loose, or not greased properly, it could still make a rattle sound.
Push the clutch pedal in and it puts pressure on the TOB and rattling stops.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0