View Single Post
      11-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Wink

OBoy-Oh...here we go on what could be an oil debate and that is not where I am for sure. Some will say, "hey BMW recco's 15K and thats what I am doing". Others say, "good night, no engine ought to go 15-18K on factory install/break in oil."
I am in the latter patch. I would not care if it is a Ferrari or a KIA...in my opinion one pre-ages all metals, bearing surfaces, rings, cams and all the etcssss when one does not change oil. Much depends on the circumstances of course. If you are in a dirty,dusty environment, then more so. If its all city stop and go, then again more often. BUT that is me. I do not wish to buy any car where the previous owner has not gotten break in oil out within first 1200 miles, and then changes at least every 6-7K. Some say, well then I will have to pay for oil change--and for me thats the least expense I have on the car--the free maintenance issue is merely for the company and dealer not to have to pay so often and appeal to the new-age customer who wishes to be pampered. For me and my house?? its often and then get a freebie. Still cheaper by half. And, IMHO, motors love fresh oil. BUT this is me...you have to decide how much you wish to age the metal, how you will beat on the motor. Even with synthetics which are a marvel compared to 40 years ago, motors need to stay clean and lubed well. You can always save the money and take the chance. Bests on your decisions....
Appreciate 0