07-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #55
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
I think it's the other way around. eLSD is "nearly free" because of local laws. Both the European Union as well as the US have made electronic stability control mandatory. So you already need all the sensors and mechanisms to apply the brakes independently of each other.

With all the sensors and mechanisms in place already because of laws. You might as well save money by plopping in a maintenance free open diff and spend a small amount (compared to developing ESC in the first place) of development time to add an eDiff instead.
I dont think ABS or Traction control and stability control were mandated when BMW implemented them and got away from mechanical LSDs. There is a big difference between what eLSD is trying to do and what stability control does. The maintenence thing is a consumer item it doesnt cost BMW anything it costs the consumer money. eLSD wears brake pads faster which will also cost the consumer more in the end. However you are right part of the cost sensors etc is already built into the car these days due to regulations.
Appreciate 0