09-08-2017, 12:20 AM   #17
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1M View Post

Not once on the ADE website for that product is bimetallic spring mentioned, nor is the thermostat operating/opening temperature stated. I and most others don't trust Andy Divers at all. I'm surprised anyone's even received any ADE products, the forums are lit up with complaints.

Like the other blockoff/bypass options available it might help keep oil temps lower on the street by allowing oil through the cooler all the time but when you drive spiritedly or on the track (not drag racing), the temps soar into the 130-140*C region and this is not good for the oils film strength - sliding surfaces suffer increased wear as a result.

The bottom line is the N54 doesn't have enough cooling system capacity to cope when pushing the cars. The huge delta from the standard thermostat's opening temp of 110*C and the peak oil temps folks are seeing (some so high the ECU goes into limp mode) is the critical thing here and it is due to a lack of heat exchange surface area. The 1M/PPK aux rad does little, it's about half the size of an A4 sheet and quite thin, as is the OEM oil cooler.
It doesn't take to be a brain surgon to work it out.

AD-E doesn't have to tell you how it works because it does, they say its a thermostat, if it wasn't they are open to a lawsuit for false advertising.

It keeps the temps steady at a 110c, if it wasn't a thermostat the temps would fluctuate like the bms one does.

I know what it is, so I told you

I worked with these types of valves in the past.

Now I know how most vendors feel and why andy doesn't answer phone calls

They must get hundreds of emails from customers just like this asking silly questions.

A thermostat control temps but will not help you with cooling.

Once you reach 110c the thermostat opens and will stay open until the temps drop, that's it.

Now you need a bigger heat exchanger, the bigger the better but in most cases unnecessary.

Todays oils can handle huge temps and 130 or 140 is nothing for todays synthetics.

Running less than 105c in most cases is bad for engine to because it doesn't reach the temp to boil of contaminants, moisture and the fuel from the oil.

The ad-e thermostat is more than ample for all street use and light track applications

If your racing you should be using racing oil and any racing oil should be changed after every meet so oil film
strength doesn't count because most of these oils can handle well north of 140c before they start to break down

Last edited by martymil; 09-08-2017 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0