nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
Thanks JP

I did read through that thread which also helped me decide on mp4s over R spec or the cup 2’s. I just didn’t see anything about the difference in tire width/aspect ratios. From other threads I read, it seems the smaller diameter sharpens some of the inputs while being less absorbent of road imperfections. Maybe those sharper inputs is the reason they aren’t recommended, especially for a beginner? Appreciate the input and look forward to other replies!
Width can give you more traction in a straight line but if you go too wide, the rim will not support the tire as well and it can make handling mushier. You are also increasing the rolling radius and weight which can dampen performance. Some people notice that it gets harder to to spin the wheels with the bigger aspect ratio/wider tires. Some of it is additional contact patch, but some is also a bit more weight and the taller tire changes the moment. Moment as in fulcrum. It is harder to turn a taller tire because like going farther out on a lever gives you more lifting force the opposite happens with a taller tire. It has more leverage against the drivetrain.

Now the 1M spins up really fast, almost too fast sometimes and it has plenty of torque so it's not as critical as an underpowered or high revving NA car.

Personally, I prefer to stay within the stock rolling diameter and doing it right. If you want to go wider, get a wider rim and go something like 295/30/19 in rear so that you maintain close to stock rolling diameter.

If you want to keep stock wheels, I would probably keep the stock sizes. While the 1M did not get as much development time as other M cars, it is universally loved for how naughty and fun it feels. So leave it close to stock and just get the best tires you can get.

I hope that helps somewhat.
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00