11-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursan View Post
I looked there, but everything's just outside my price range.
There's a half dozen or so in the $8k's, more below $10k. If this is a struggle, first I hear you, second you might reconsider things because if you have a needed repair anytime soon it might sink you.

Generally speaking a well maintained car is best, followed closely (or perhaps in the reverse order even) by low miles. I wouldn't worry much about the age if the older car wins the above categories. (104 and 114 k miles is sorta equivalent though).

I wouldn't worry much about the headlights either. Xenon is nice but I'd say things like the M-Sport package or other things might be more important. For me at least. You are you and will have to decide what your needs are.

One thing too, and I could be wrong, but I'd expect that the 1-Series being sold by BMW dealers are probably trade-ins for newer models, and have probably spent their life being serviced by that dealer. That would do a lot for me. It won't always be the case of course, but I would expect it to be more often than not. Also, a car not through the dealer isn't necessarily bad either, far from it (i.e. mine's rarely seen a dealer but is in basically perfect condition and completely maintained). But I'd have some comfort buying a car from a dealer especially when having to consider cross-country travel for it.
Appreciate 0