Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
Beat me to it! Look everyone, APEX is listening, so show your support! I'm leaning towards the medium offset 17x9 so that we can run square setups. Let's make it happen!
I signed up. I just can't get behind a square setup.

From Apex:
"Note that a 9” wheel on the 1 series will not work up front on any car that has an aftermarket suspension installed that sets the lower spring perch next to the tire, or has a thicker diameter shock body... The spring and perch must be kept above the tire for a 9” wheel to fit up front. Stock suspension with lowering springs, and non-inverted struts with 6” main springs should sit above a wide tire and wheel package properly."

Basically all of the good coilover kits for the 1er put the spring perch next to the tire (TCK DA, Ohlins R&T, etc...). You have to get crazy short springs to keep it above the tire, which then compromises a different part of your performance. So unless you want to keep your stock suspension indefinitely, you still aren't getting an ideal setup with this 9 inch wheel offering.

I say stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and instead get the best round peg you can find, which is a 235 or 245 front with a 255 or 265 rear on a staggered 8.5/9.5 17 inch offering with 1-series fitments so we don't need to waste money on spacers. If you want a square setup, go with 8.5 inch wheels, spacers, and 235 or 245s.

My two cents...