06-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #45
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
This is true of both Normally Aspirated Engines and Turbo Charged Engines. Altitude effects engines in the same way. However Turbo Engines are much less effected by Altitude changes than NA engines are.

To the OP, Turbo engines have successfully been used in racing cars for over 100 years everything from Rally to Indy cars. In most cases this Loss of power as the heat of the day increases is not very noticeable since it is a gradual loss as the system heats up, that is unless the car goes into some type of Limp mode that shuts off the Turbos.. The same loss is happening to NA engines but to a smaller degree.

I too have a Chipped N54 engine and have ran it hard in 95+ degree temps without any limp mode or real noticeable loss of power. Same with my 05 Subaru STi that is running Stage 2 performance mods, this car performs great in high temps as well even with the Stock Intercooler. Miller Mortorsports track gets very hot in the summer, but it's a dry heat.
I understand the use of turbo motors in racing. I don't see your point?

Congrats on not overheating, I don't know what to tell you other than my experience with the N54 motor on five tracks, all located in hot humid environments. It wasn't limited to just my car. My buddy had a AT and would hit temps that caused the tranny to lock up (mine was a 6MT).

If you have never noticed a loss of power or limped with your N54, you may need to drive harder Seriously though, different tracks stress cars in different ways.

FYI: I was running r comps with race pads and SRF fluid.

Last edited by Bubbles; 06-09-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0