05-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhb View Post
Pushing in the clutch and hearing a sound would indicate throw-out bearing. This is not what he describes.

If the sound goes away after pushing in the clutch, it's the chatter of the dual-mass flywheel. Mine had this noise since I had the car at 30,000 miles. I still have it at 120k. It's annoying but nothing to really worry about.

My car also shudders coming to stops sometimes, maybe it's related to the chattering (worn) dual-mass flywheel, though I can't say for certain.
It's not the flywheel chattering, it's the gears in the transmission (hence it goes away when you push the clutch pedal in). Every gear in the transmission spins as long as the clutch is engaged, regardless of gear selected. A worn flywheel exaggerates the chattering, but it isn't the source. It's a normal thing for these cars, unfortunately.

OP, you should run a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner through your car. Pour a bottle into an empty tank, fill the tank half way with gas, then drive HARD until empty again, then fill with another bottle of Techron, then a full tank of gas, and enjoy. For some reason, that stuff works absolute wonders on our engines and seems to cure most 'odd' running issues.

As for the clunking, it could be a worn/damaged CV joint or worn motor mounts. The mounts are filled with a hydraulic fluid that leaks over time and causes the mounts to deflate and lose their stiffness over time.