View Single Post
      06-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Talking First track day with my 1M at The Ridge

For those outside of the North West region, http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/ (about 30 mins from Exit 104 off I-5 in Washington State). We went on Jun 14

Really nice photos by PoweredByAloe - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4183408&type=1
I'm number 82 (which became A2 after 2 sessions)

Obligatory YouTube video of my lap -
(created with M Laptimer data, overlaid onto GoPro footage with Dashware which was apparently bought by GoPro recently). This is my 2nd best lap because my GoPro didn't last, and my best lap is only half a second faster in the next session.

Mods - camber plate in front at -2, catch can (6 months of weekend driving produced just a tad of oil)

Stock tires and brakes, Motul 8100 5W40 just before heading down. Since it's a 4 hour non-stop drive, we went the day before but drove home right after the track day

I did all the sessions on my own which was scary on the first lap out (almost to a point of spinning out from backing off at the wrong place), but by the end I went from a super conservative time of around 2:31 down to a somewhat conservative time of just under 2:09 (all depending on how the lap was measured, best laps are just under 2 minutes). There were 3 groups every hour with lunch hour at noon, and I ended up taking a break, doing only 6 out of the 7 sessions (most people left after 5 but there were a few going for it in the open session).

I don't know how accurate the sensors are on the car for M Laptimer app to read off but it says I did over 1G on a few corners which I find a little surprising. I also short-shifted around 5500rpm and didn't bother with 2nd gear after the start. For my first track day in a FR car, I just want to learn it and make it home but still drive it harder than on the street. I kept it in MDM but used Sport throttle map for the afternoon sessions (MDM saved me on the tight corners => lots to learn on smooth throttle on high-torque FR car). I also didn't bother with heel and toe as I'm not very comfortable with the braking points (Sport throttle definitely made it easier though when I tried).

As for the actual driving, I would say it has more grip than I'm expecting, coming from an AWD car (Impreza coupe with full STi drivetrain and mods), maybe the stock body roll made me feel I had less grip but certain up hills I should have just gone full throttle and turn. I saved enough brakes for the whole day but I figured I could have brake harder and still last the day. Shifting wise I figured some of the tight turns 2nd gear could net me a better time, and I don't feel I gain much running the gears right to red line when there is so much torque down low (why stress the engine unnecessarily). I would love to have a better sound track in my videos though as the car sound amazing even with all the wind noise

My friends already encourage me to join again for Jun 29 but I don't feel the urge to burn off my stock PSS so soon, preferring to go with them come Sep. I need to re-think my summer / winter setup because my current All Seasons on my 18x9.5 rubbed and I don't think my PSS is good for wets anymore after all the heat cycling. I'm sure the V8 in a E92 sounded amazing as much as its balance but I liked the size of the 1 series better, not to mention it's a unicorn on the track. The track entry fee is mice nuts compared to all the prep expenses but I plan to do 2 track days a year as long as I can afford it. Driving the 1M hard is such an addictive and expensive behaviour...
Appreciate 1