Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
If they are arguing that the battery simply went dead because your wife didn't drive it enough, tell them to charge it and give it back to you. If they were unable to tell you that in your driveway and had to take it to the dealership to figure it out, then that is their problem. I wouldn't pay anything.

If they think it needs a new battery then that should be a warranty repair - assuming you are still under warranty.

The key question for them is whether the battery is good or not. They should be able to load test it and answer that question. If it's good, why did the car have to come to the dealer to find that out? If it's not good, then why aren't they covering the new one under warranty?

I do not understand their position but until I did I wouldn't even think about paying for a battery and installation. You might check on the price, however. For awhile the dealer I bought my car from was advertising a below $200 price if I remember right - every once in awhile you get a break. But they haven't demonstrated it's your problem.

A battery might need a charge due to inactivity - I think mine may now (due to work on the house blocking the drive for a few weeks). But that shouldn't cause a battery to fail. One really bad discharge can (like leaving your lights on for a few days at the airport) but not just letting it sit for a few days. If the battery discharged after less than a weeks sitting, the battery was bad or there is a current drain somewhere. Mine has sat for a week more than once with no apparent ill effect.
Thanks for this good tip. Ill inform this to the Service Manager when ever they call me back. Im just hoping its not the dealership trying to take advantage of me since im not a frequent customer there. Its in Delaware right now. I usually take it to Passport/Fairfax. Contacted my SA at fairfax and he said if they wont budge to call the Service Manager at Fairfax.

Like you said if the battery did just died then I should be able to charge it back up by letting it run for a hour or by charging it. And I tried charging it for half hour before calling to have it towed.
Appreciate 0