09-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #27
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Power has nothing to do with a balanced chassis. Not to be offensive but I don't get you. I'm a fan of the n52 and you have taken it to another level with all the mods yet it took you long time to run a dyno and now show no interest in 0-60 or 1/4 runs.

If you don't want to do it just simply say so.

ESS SC is coming out soon and it would be interesting how the numbers compare to a well tuned n52. To be clear, I don't mean to sound pushy but it would be cool to see your gains over stock and how it holds vs SC.
Power has everything to do with a balanced chassis. Ignoring the 128i, the S2000 or a base Cayman are perfect examples of cars that have vastly more grip and competency than they do power, and as a result ultimately feel boring to drive as you never feel on the edge. As a counter example, the Z3 and Miata feel close to the limit at traffic speeds, given their primitive suspension setups and narrow tires.

When I changed the tires from awful run-flats to Michelin Pilot SuperSports(same tires used on the Ferrari 599 and a pile of other super cars), and swapped the suspension over to the M3 setup with TCK DAs, the car was massively more competent than the engine. As such, power levels had to be raised to match.

None of this was done for competition purposes or to have a "better" car than someone else. My personal driving enjoyment was/is the only focus. I participate on the forum to share technical know-how and my approach to car modifications. It's really that simple.

ESS will be faster. If it's not, they have a serious problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
You don't seem to understand that some people don't give a flying f**k about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times or that the ability to mash a peddle, to them, is not as important as how the car handles and drives as a whole.
Spot on.